HELLO - FROM BUDDY AND JERRY ... AND WELCOME TO OUR NEW BLOG --

  SPORTS FOLDEROL.


I know, I know … just what the world needs ... like another lawyer.

This one is designed to give fans of local, state and area sports coverage heretofore the property of regular media outlets but no longer in play as the bottom line and editorial content disguised as news has replaced journalism.

At least there will be no pretense here. While we should try to be impartial, opinions are bound to surface … without apology … that is, unless required by fairness. And, even that, more often than not, is in the eye of the beholder.

Nothing is guaranteed, of course, but we will try not to take ourselves too seriously.
 
Buddy Cousins is our good-humor man. He will delight readers with off-beat, occasionally-bizarre looks at the people who run things and, all too often, think they are the last word about everything. A native of Richmond, he has led (shall we say without fear of contradiction) an interesting life that included a trip to Viet Nam.

I was a sportswriter for the Richmond Times-Dispatch from 1959, two weeks after graduating from Washington & Lee, to June 17, 2006 when I retired. That’s 47 years being paid to watch kids’ games … so I never say I “worked” for a living.

I covered just about everything and liked most of it, so, when I woke up one morning and decided I didn’t want to do it anymore, I went cold turkey not knowing whether I could handle that. Well, it was a snap. The only thing I missed were the people.

Then, during the pandemic, I volunteered to write some sports memory pieces for the Times-Dispatch which had undergone several ownership changes … none for the better, I should add. Now, they have one deadline (whereas we had four), and most sports news that appears is a day late. Also, they emphasize high school and college athletics only.

In July, talented Michael Phillips, the T-D’s sports editor, was let go in the latest cost-saving move and, with him, went up-close-and-personal coverage of the Washington Commanders. He apparently will not be replaced for either his position or the coverage. Bummer!

With all of the above in mind, we decided to give readers an alternative … assuming, of course, they learn of our little attempt via word of mouth.

The plan is to put something out there just about every day. Oh, and a promise … not to take too many shots at The Times-Dispatch which would be too easy. Believe me … I could write a book. And then some.

Finally, a word of thanks to long-time colleague, the late/great Bill Millsaps, for the title name. His "folderol for you-all" column was a staple during his days as a sportswriter,  one of the all-time best.

Anyway, hope you will enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHTS WHILE THINKING

VRC PLEASED ... WHICH EXPLAINS RUBBER-STAMP MEETING

LOTS OF STUFF